Sunday 6 October 2013

Catching some Zeds ;-)


Well as the autumn goes on thoughts of predators come to mind, and having caught some tiny roach I thought I'd have a go for the Soars Zander, I as bailiff/secretary/part time speci hunter have heard tales of good Zander from the river, including a 12lb "golden" specimen from the Pillings section. Zed's are well documented in the stilwaters that flood into the Soar around Syston, I myself had a couple of half right fish from the Syston Soar, but with a 20yr old son boasting of his 10lb King Lear fish the pressure was well and truly on, so with the other half off on a girls night out I seized the chance to get out into the local layby's , park up and march off to the river ;-), I always thought that them alien species fed as dusk decended and stopped an hour after lights out ala perch. Well I set up with an hour of daylight left and having found I'd forgotten my wire trace's I had to fanny about making up some 14inch traces, single size4 attached to Drennan 12lb wire, dead small roach was the bait, I cut the tail off and cut into the body cavity to pop the swimbladder and release them there juices. Crayfish are a bit of a pain here and I will take a net next time to catch them so if anyones got a good recipe I'm all ears. Daylight passed and to be honest if it hadn't been for a new DAB radio and a shiney new I phone to play with I'd have been back in the lay by much earlier, but hay ho come 10pm the right hand rod gave a couple of bleeps and the improvised shower curtain bite indicator rose nicely and I struck into what I thought was the bottom, then the bottom thumped and I thought hell I've got one on, after a couple of false attempts the white submarine rose to the waiting net and with all the satisfaction that comes with catching your chosen prey I lifted the net, after some cafufle I got the fish weighed 8lb 8 she went, elation PB beaten by 2lb8oz. I slipped her back after a quick pic on the new phone rueing the mistake of leaving the camera at home, 10 mins later little brother's gracing the net, about 3lb, I don't know I was a bit blasey now, I mean I've smashed my PB so this was small fry lol. I packed up just before the chippy shut after all the good lady wouldn't be cooking a hearty meal after her night out ;-) . The Soar's zander are obviously growing well, maybe that's why the roach fishing is in decline, who knows, all I can say that there's a cracking bit of sport to be had if you want to park up in lay bys and get your tackle out.
 All 8lb 8 of Soar Zander
 I for one will be out again and I'm hoping to make my son's PB look small with a true river fish.
To change the subject the AMAL have some 2000 associate members and I'd love to receive some reports from our guys/gals who are fishing our waters, please message me with reports and I'll enlighten the world of our exploits. Cheers for now

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ian, Nice to meet you last night.
    Did you catch any more?

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan yes I had a new PB Zander of 8lb 12, just as you left, shame I could have asked you to do the photo, never mind it was nice to see another keen angler on the Soar, see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Ian. Is there any way to send a PM through this software. I was trying to send you my emil address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan on your amal book is my mob nos, drop me a text mate

    ReplyDelete