Tuesday 12 November 2013

Winter's almost here, get the gloves and skee-tex out of the shed

Well autumn seems to have been a very short season this year , one minute the temperatures were holding at 13degrees at night , the saying Indian summer was never more true, all the tree's were holding on to their leaves as though there lives depended on it, then we catch the tail end of some tropical storm and that's it we're galloping toward winter, with gales, endless rainy days and suddenly naked trees. All in all a pretty sharp change in both water temperature but add in the shortening day length and yep its winter you can hear galloping over the horizon.
 I took advantage of the sudden influx of water into the Soar and squeezed in two evening sessions at the joining of two major flows, which created a slack area right under my own bank where the flows where at their slowest, it screamed out as a fish holding feature, 6ft deep and the most coloured the water had been for weeks, both rods had a 2oz feeder holding groundbait stuffed with hemp and pellets with a splattering of maize, one rods 12inch hooklink was baited with 14mm drilled halibut and the other hooklink had a white chocolate boilie, both baits have potential to catch any of the species the river holds around this feature, carp bream chub tench, any one could have had a nibble on the first night, none of them felt the need to wear out the batteries on my bite alarms, so I balled in 6 Jaffa's of the groundbait , looking to return the next day and empty the river of its specimens, the fish yet again had other ideas and another blank ensued, with my confidence smashed I've decided that worms will be the focus of my next visit, at least that way I've got the added chance of a perch to pull my string, I'll keep you informed as to how it goes but my luck must be due for a change soon.

AMAL Business
The AMAL are running their monthly match on Fishpool, its on Saturday 23rd of November and if you would like to fish please give Dave Houghton a call on his mobile 07721493306
There is a delegates meeting this month so we can all have a mull over the fishing issues that we've got, there are no major isssues within the AMAL at present but it does give all delegates an opportunity to ask questions . The AMAL are currently hosting quite a few matches on our waters of late and I think this blog is the ideal opportunity to see where the matches are being held so pleasure anglers don't go on the waters that are booked by the various clubs. Below is an updated match list
  As ever guys your input adds an extra dimension to the blog so any pictures/catch reports/reminesence's are all welcome, cheers for now Ian
Water Booked                                   Date of Booking         Club Booking Waters
R Soar  Deeps                                                 9/11/2013         AMAL
Fishpool                                              16/11/2013        Ratby AC
 R Soar 1860 + Cobbles                     17/11/2013        SVWL                                          
Fishpool                                                          17/11/2013       Jelson AC
Fishpool                                                          23/11/2013       AMAL
 Barrow Canal                                                  24/11/2013       Jones and Shipman
R Soar 1860 and Cobbles                               24/11/2013        SVWL
Fishpool                                               30/11/2013        Private function
 Barrow Canal                                     01/12/2013                    MatchCatch
Barrow Canal                                      22/12/2013                   MatchCatch

 
















2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian, Looks a familiar peg! I havent been down since I met you down there.

    I fished my MAL book out to send you a text, but have subsequently lost the book.If I find it I will drop you a text. It would be nice to have a trip out sometime if you fancy a guest. When it gets to the proper winter I'd like to try the same area with breadpunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan. you've not missed anything lol, I'm going to go down the if it swims i'll try and catch it now, I went to Fishpool today for a few hours, 1 carp and two roach, not the catch I was hoping for, e mail me on willywasson@googlemail.com, it be good to get out fishing mate, i'll look forward to your e mail and we can arrange something ttfn

    ReplyDelete